Record levels of investment for Cyber Security sector
UK-registered Cyber Security firms have raised more than £1 billion external investment in 84 deals. This means more than 6,000 new jobs have been added to the UK’s 50,000-strong cyber workforce.
Britain’s tech sector continues to break records as new government data shows more than 1,800 cyber security firms generated a total of £10.1 billion in revenue in the most recent financial year, a 14 per cent increase from the previous financial year. The DCMS Annual Cyber Sector Report, which tracks the growth and performance of the UK’s cyber security industry, reveals the sector contributed around £5.3 billion to the UK economy in 2021, rising by a third on the previous year from £4 billion - the largest increase since the report began in 2018.
Employment across the industry rose by 13 per cent, with more than 6,000 new jobs created, opening up new opportunities for people up and down the UK to join the sector and share its wealth. This brings the total number of people working in cyber in the UK to 52,700.
There were 1,838 active cyber security firms in the UK in 2021. More than half are based outside of London and the South East, with cyber security showing growth in the North East and East Midlands. The report highlights this move could be a result of remote work increasing regional opportunities.
UK-registered cyber security firms attracted record levels of external investment, with more than £1 billion secured across 84 deals by companies including Bristol-based Immersive Labs, which raised £53.5 million, and London-headquartered Tessian which secured more than £52 million in funding.
This is such an exciting time for cybersecurity and also, to be joining the industry. Have a look at our latest vacancies or if you're looking to hire, get in touch.
- Strategies to building a robust cybersecurity team - the essentials
- How to attract, and retain CISO talent.
- How is the talent shortage in cybersecurity impacting leadership?
- Women in Cybersecurity
- Online dating and recruitment, what's the difference?
- Market Update - 5 minutes with James Morris
- Protect Your Data: How to Hire the Right Security Engineer
- Top Cybersecurity Jobs in 2022
- A career in Secure Operations
- What is a Cybersecurity generalist?
- Transferable Skills for Cybersecurity Career