Do you need a Cyber Security degree? A Recruiters Perspective:
As a cybersecurity recruiter, I am often asked for advice on how to break into the sector, one of the more common questions is – do I need a cybersecurity degree? Despite the predictions of over 3.5 million unfilled jobs by 2020 many individuals still struggle to recognise the opportunities that are available to them in cybersecurity, or are unable to make that transition. Below are some of the key points I think are good to arm yourself with the best possible chance.
Knowledge Is Power
- Use every possible resource available to you. Absorb as much information on the key people (Twitter, Linkedin, Facebook Groups), trends & events (News, blogs, forums) and latest tools and technologies.
- The Open University offers a free course called Introduction to Cyber Security which can give you a basic insight into the sector. The more you know the more you will be able to understand what part of Cyber Security interests you the most.
Identify and Present your Transferable skills
- Now you have conducted your research and invested time in identifying what area of Cybersecurity interests you, identify your transferable skills that could help you thrive in the sector.
- Tailor your CV for every job you’re applying for, adding as much detail as you can around your transferable skills that could be an asset to the company.
- Although you may not work in a cybersecurity role now, you could have plenty of technical and soft skills that are valuable to your potential new employer.
- System admin or support experience such as Windows or Linux.
- Network administration and/or understanding of network architecture and software.
- Problem-solving – being able to analyse and diagnose problems is a large part of cybersecurity.
- Research and writing – these skills are great to have for someone looking to create and enforce cybersecurity policies & frameworks.
There are numerous ways to break into Cyber Security and there is no magic formula, however, I think doing the above tasks thoroughly and well can help you stand out from the crowd.
To read more about transferable skills, click here
NDK Next Generation = an interactive hub of how to break into the cybersecurity industry, including experts advice and cybersecurity myths.